Alternate Characters. A lot of you have asked me about this, or at the very least expressed an interest in playing a new character soon. What can I say, we have a lot of cool realms, and I can completely understand wanting to be a part of them all. It can be a tricky subject however. Some people love to play more than one character, while others prefer to play one per event, and some people swear off alts all together. Sometimes playing an alt allows you to get more out of a game. And once in a while you miss everything because you were playing the "wrong" character at the right time. Then you throw event fees and alt fees into the mix and it becomes another issue all together. What is playing an Alt actually worth?
You should never be "paying to win", or feel like you're forced to pony up more money to advance in level. A character's progression should be inherent to a game's design not fielded at a premium charge. When it comes to playing more than one character I believe that this is part of playing a game on your terms. It costs us next to nothing, and if there is a cost it should only reflect an amount close to that difference. It's an unfortunate trend that many games choose to tack on meaningless extra fees if you stray even a little from their version of the standard package.
So with that in mind I want to put the following rules about Alts into effect. These will be formally added to the website after the November Event:
- You may play one character from each Realm. Currently that means you can have up to five different characters at Catalyst.
- Each of your costumes must be distinctive with little room for doubt about who you are playing.
- Your characters may not know each other and any information they learn is separate. This includes notebooks you might use to record info and IG lore that is not easily available. You must also actively avoid conversations about your alts.
- You can swap characters twice per event and may play a maximum of two characters at a single event. You also cannot switch within 6 hours of the beginning or end of an event, or within 6 hours of another swap.
- You cannot switch characters to avoid negative IG ramifications, such as from participating in PvP.
- When you switch, come to logistics with your character card and all their items (as though you were turning it in for the weekend). We will hold them until you choose to switch back or until the end of the game. Your NPC shift, and Cleanup sign off only needs to appear on one card.
- The fee for playing an Alt is $0.
To coincide with this, I also want to let everyone know that the maximum number of soul stones you can turn in for AP is getting a change. You may now turn in up to 3 AP per event you attend. So for example if you only got one AP from turning in soul stones in October you could turn in for a total of five AP in November.
As always, if you have any questions or concerns shoot me a PM or leave a message on the website's contact form.
Thanks and Dream On,